What is Applied Vocabulary?
Applied Vocabulary is a system of writing strategies for building students’ vocabulary across content standards. Teachers choose from over 12 critical-thinking writing strategies to support the essential question of a lesson. Students respond with a strategy to explain what they understand with logical inferences or insight.
This systematic approach to writing empowers students to explain what they have learned in a different way than the teacher taught it. Teachers are prompted to:
- Quantify their expectations (number of key terms used in the writing)
- Model a written response that exceeds their expectations
- Guide student choices with a critical-thinking strategy
- Secure student self-assessment with a scoring rubric
- Prompt peer response to the quality of writing with PALS (peer-assisted learning system)
Applied Vocabulary Online
For over two decades, Applied Vocabulary has employed vocabulary building, self-assessment, and peer evaluation techniques to produce gains in student achievement.
Teachers and instructional leaders love...
- the simple concrete writing strategies and critical-thinking tasks
- the double-digit gains replicated in their schools
- the positive impact on the class environment
- the practice creating
- logical arguments
- strong narratives
- detailed informational entries
Over three decades of research confirms the positive impact writing has on learning across the content standards.
We offer a 30-day money back guarantee.